Finished Project: Dress

This is it, it’s done!

I based my dress on this illumination:

anglosaxon1

So here are the challenges here: I can’t see her neckline. I went with a notched keyhole neckline because that’s what I’ve seen done most frequently. I’ve got nothing to work with as far as colors. But it looks like she’s got an underdress with long fitted sleeves, her over dress has wider and shorter sleeves than the underdress and there looks to be some kind of trim on the edge of the sleeves.

I used the Mammen tunic:

reconstructed-early-medeval-tunic

to make the argument for harringbone embroidery along the seams for added seam finishing and embellishment.

I wove the trim for the neckline and hem using the two pack Saxon technique I’ve cited before. The trim on the sleeves is wider and thinner using the same warp but turning all the cards together instead of turning them in the two pack method.

The fabric itself (along with the trim) is wool. The dress is slightly fulled so it’s a thick and warm garment. So now pictures!

20160221_13175820160221_13181420160221_13182520160221_13183520160221_13185020160221_131858

In order we have: Front, back, sleeve trim detail, neckline trim detail, embroidery, and embroidery detail . Also featured: my apprentice belt which I did not make, my laurel did. I just got excited and wanted to see what my dress looked like with some of my performance favors and the fancy smancy belt.

So here it is guys, I finished it. I’m really proud of it and can’t wait to wear it and perform in it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s